Magnifisan Baby Marrow & Cheddar Doughnuts
Prepping Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes plus extra for rising
- 250g (1 punnet) baby marrow, coarsely grated
- 100ml lukewarm full cream milk
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 15ml (1 tbsp) margarine
- 60ml (¼ cup) cheddar, grated
- 5ml (1 tsp) mixed herbs
- 10g instant yeast
- 125g Magnifisan Super Maize Meal
- 40g Super-Sure Cake Flour
1. Put the baby marrows in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave to drain for about 30 minutes. Dry well with paper towels.
2. Mix the milk, sugar, salt, egg, and margarine in a large mixing bowl.
3. In another bowl mix the yeast, maize meal, flour, baby marrow and add it to the egg mixture. Mix well to combine. Add extra maize meal to form a soft kneadable dough.
4. On a lightly maized work surface, knead the dough until well combined. Place back in the bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
5. Roll out the dough and cut out rings using a doughnut ring. Lightly grease a baking tray with oil and put the rings on the tray, cover and leave to rise once more until double in size.
6. Heat oil in a large pot and deep-fry the doughnuts until golden. Drain on paper towel and continue until all the doughnuts are done. Sprinkle with extra mixed herbs and serve while still warm.