Prepping Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes, plus extra for rising
Makes 1 loaf
- 250g Magnifisan Super Maize Meal
- 250g Super-Sure Cake Flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) salt
- 5g sugar
- 7g instant dry yeast
- 50g butter, melted
- 190ml milk, lukewarm
- 125ml ( ½ cup) water, lukewarm
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) water, lukewarm
- Honey for drizzling (optional)
1. Sift the maize, flour and salt together then add the sugar and yeast and stir well to combine.
2. Add the melted butter to the maize mixture together with the milk and water and mix to form a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough on a lightly maized work surface and knead until the dough is soft, about 10 minutes. Place in a large bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until double in size for about 30 minutes.
4. Knock down the dough and knead once more. Divide into equal pieces and shape into balls. Place each ball next to each other in a lightly greased loaf tin. Cover and leave to rise for a further 45 minutes.
5. Bake until cooked and golden, for about 40 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack and brush immediately with a mixture of the sugar and water. Leave to cool slightly then serve warm.
The correct technique is to squeeze balls of dough through a circle made by your thumb and forefinger, using oiled/buttered hands, this way you get nice smooth balls of dough.