Magnifisan Spinach & Chicken Pie
Prepping Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes 1 pie
- 145g Magnifisan Super Maize Meal
- 120g Super-Sure Cake Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 125g butter, cold
- 125ml (½ cup) water, iced
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh lemon juice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) margarine
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 x 50g sachet white onion soup
- 200g Grain Field Chickens Chicken Breast Fillets, minced
- 125ml (½ cup) button mushrooms, chopped
- 500g spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) inkomazi
- 4 large eggs
- 125ml (½ cup) cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a pie dish and set aside.
2. To make the pastry, sift the maize, flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture and with your hands rub until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Mix the water and lemon juice into the flour mixture and stir to make a stiff dough. Knead well then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly maized surface. Lay the dough in to the pie dish to cover, refrigerate until needed.
5. For the filling, sauté the garlic in the margarine and add the onion soup mixture and chicken, then add the mushrooms and spinach. Mix the inkomazi, eggs and cheese and season well. Spoon filling into the raw crust and bake until set, for about 40 minutes.