Magnifisan Dombolo (Dumplings) and Chicken Stew
Prepping Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 250ml (1 cup) warm water
- 150g Magnifisan Super Maize Meal
- 150g Super-Sure Cake Flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 7g instant yeast
- 1kg Grain Field Chickens Chicken Soup Pack
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 60ml (¼ cup) sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 350ml chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin braai relish, diced tomato and onion with herbs
- 1 x 500g frozen mixed vegetables
- 10ml (2 tsp) maizena
1. For the dombolo, mix all the ingredients well together and leave to rest while preparing the stew.
2. To make the stew, season the chicken pieces well. Heat 30ml (2 tbsp) of the oil in a large pot and sauté the chicken pieces on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the same pot and sauté the garlic for a few seconds, add the chicken pieces, celery stalks, carrots, chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Stir to combine well. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, then add the vegetables. Spoon a little of the hot liquid into a mixing bowl and mix in the maizena. Add this into the pot and stir to combine.
4. Divide the dough into 6 portions and arrange these around the chicken. Cover and cook until the dombolo are cooked, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Serve while still hot with a sprinkle of parsley.