Magnifisan Vetkoek Filled with Curried Chicken Mince
Prepping Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes, plus extra for rising
Curried chicken mince
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tbsp) mild curry powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) masala
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 200g Grain Field Chickens Chicken Breast Fillets, minced
- 1 medium potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 small carrot crated
- 60ml (¼ cup) peas
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 250g Magnifisan Super Maize Meal
- 200g Super-Sure Cake Flour
- 500ml (2 cups) buttermilk
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 5ml (1 tsp) cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 45ml (3 tbsp) butter, at room temperature
1. To make the vetkoek, sift the maize and flour into a mixing bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except for the butter and add it to the maize mixture and mix well.
3. Add the butter to the mixture and with your hands knead lightly. Cover and leave in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.
4. Heat a large pot with oil and with your hands break off pieces of dough and fry until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. For the mince, heat the oil in a pot and sauté the onion and garlic for a few seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook covered while occasionally stirring for about 30 minutes, add more water if the mixture gets to dry.
6. Once the vetkoek are done, cut a slit into the side and fill with the curried mince and serve while still hot.