Orange Pap cake with orange syrup
Makes 1 cake
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 150g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
- 200g Super-Sure Cake Flour
- 100g Super Maize Meal Magnifisan
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- Juice of 3 oranges
- 130g castor sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm springform cake tin and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and creamy, beat the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, maize, zest and baking powder. Gently stir the maize mixture into the egg mixture and pour into the prepared cake tin. Bake until cooked for about 40 – 50 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the syrup by boiling the orange juice with the sugar and cinnamon stick for about 10 minutes.
- Once the cake is cooked remove from the oven and pour the hot syrup over the cake. Leave the cake to absorb the syrup before gently removing from the tin and serving with fresh cream, custard or ice cream.